Before you begin the process of hiring a home cleaning service, there are several questions you need to ask yourself in order to clarify your own expectations:
- Are you looking to hire a maid because you simply don’t have time to clean?
- Do you have physical limitations that limit the amount and types of cleaning you can do?
- Are you allergic to the cleaning chemicals you want used to clean your home?
- Did you grow up in a home that hired a maid, and are you simply used to having cleaning tasks done by a hired service?
Once you’ve decided your motivation behind hiring someone to clean your home, you can begin to list your expectations:
- What tasks would you like to see done every week, every other week, or once a month?
- Do you simply need someone to do the things you can’t do, or will you plan on them taking over even the ones you can safely accomplish?
- Which tasks require chemicals that may cause your allergies to act up?
- Finally, what rooms in your home are the most important as far as cleanliness goes?
You may also want to consider options such as seasonal deep cleaning services or specialized options for expensive family heirlooms. And you’ll need to clarify who will provide the supplies and whether you’ll be home to supervise. Also, are there any specific instructions that you’d like your maid to know about?
So, you’ve written out your important items (or you have them clarified in your mind), you can begin calling around to find a company that will be able to keep your house sparkling clean and fulfill your expectations! Here are some important questions to ask while you have their customer service representatives on the phone:
- Is the company insured or bonded?
Whether the company is insured or not doesn’t usually affect the level of cleaning which they perform, but it will give you peace of mind to know that you won’t be held responsible for any incident that may happen.
- Is the company licensed?
This is also not a necessity, but gives you the peace of mind that the company has been in business for a while and most likely has satisfied customers!
- Who will provide the supplies?
Are you expected to provide and replenish the supplies, which you’d like to have your maid use around your home? Many services bring their own supplies, but others don’t, so be sure to clarify that before the first appointment! Also, if you’d like to have specific supplies used (i.e. organic or chemical-free), you may need to provide them.
- Will you be there to supervise?
If you plan on supervising the service, it’s a good idea to let the maid know ahead of time. On the other hand, if you would rather be out of the house while the home cleaning service is being done, discuss whether your maid will have her own key or whether they’ll be access to the key during her appointment times. Perhaps you can let her in and then leave to run errands, or you can leave the key under the doormat on the days she’s scheduled to come.
- Pricing Questions
Finally, ask about pricing for regular services as well as extra services. Most companies charge about $30 per hour, so you can use this for a reference as you research.
Once you’ve found a home cleaning service that you love, sit back and enjoy a perpetually clean home!